Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I am a domestic godess

Come on say it with me, "I am a domestic godess". There now that we've all had our laugh for the day I can get back to reality and apologize for the fact that I am again a slacker. Darned kids and their neediness ;)

Seriously though, I am impressed with myself right now. I am a solid food delayer. I also do not do jarred baby food. I had every ambition of making my own for Will, but turns out he hated all forms of the stuff. So by the time he was 8 months old he was eating table foods with us at dinner despite not having any teeth until he was 10 months old. I honestly beleive this is the reason he eats so well to this day. Fast forward to baby #2. This method worked so well for us that I decided to just go that route for baby girl. Except she had other ideas about solids. Seems she is ready NOW, actually I think it was yesterday but I put her off a bit. She is eyeing my food like a hawk with its prey and even went so far as to try to steal the apple right from my mouth. It was then that I pretty much gave up. I gave her the apple and she tried unsucessfully to derive some source of enjoyment from it. I decided that I couldn't exactly figure out a way to safely share it with her- you know choking hazard and all. The hamster hopped in its wheel and I hit upon the briliant idea of applesauce. Except I didn't have any, and I had no idea how to make it.

I decided to give it a shot anyway, I mean how hard can it be? I cut up some more apple, peeled it- in retrospect I should have done the peeling first- and microwaved it for about 2 minutes with a small amount of water. (I have since been informed that boiling it is really the way to go, so on my second attempt I used the stove.) Once it was soft I put it in my tiny food processor and whirled it around with a
little of the cooking water. Presto, applesauce. It was really that easy, and pretty darned good too. In fact the 3 year old wanted some so I had to make a second batch. So I guess you can add applesauce (and baby puree) making to my resume now. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment