Friday, June 5, 2009

Bread Success part two

I HATE wheat bread. I know. I made my comments about the air bread in the last posts, but I ate it anyway instead of the healthier wheat variety. So when I started making my own bread, I did it with the full intention of adding some wheat flour to the bread and trying to make it a little healthier. Well last night I finally did it. My bread did not rise properly, but I attribute that more to the weather than the bread recipe itself. The resulting loaves thought a little on the short side were altogether tasty. I retained the rest of the modifications to the sandwich bread recipe I posted the other day, but added in 2 cups wheat flour. So the flour mixture consisted of 1/2 c flax seed, 2 c wheat flour, 3 1/2 white flour. Steve liked it, and since he is my tester I'll go with it. Yay!

As for dinner, Wednesday night was Salmon Croquettes. I pretty much made up the recipe myself, but it consisted of about 1.2 c bread crumbs and Greek seasoning. Ad egg would have been better, but I didn't have any and I thought I could make it work without one. I was partly right. They tasted pretty good if I do say so myself, but they would have been much more cohesive if I had had that egg. Next time I'll remember to be sure I have an egg first.

Last night I let the Mellow Mushroom do my cooking. Funky Chicken Q pizza and man was it good! We met an old friend there for dinner and a beer.

Tonight was another last minute cous cous and chicken concoction. We went swimming with the same friend this afternoon so I was not particularly prepared for dinner tonight. My husband could have done it since he was home, but I digress... Chopped chicken and Mediterranean cous cous. Would have served a veggie but I was trying to get something cooked in a big hurry because Steve only had about 30 minutes before he needed to leave for work. Gotta love 7 minute meals!

Tomorrow night might be a free for all. Spending the day with my dad and family. My sister is in town from Gainesville with my new nephew. We have also been invited to a swimming party tomorrow night, not sure if I have the stamina to make it. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment