Sunday, May 24, 2009

Slacking

Okay so I've been slacking. I'm not sure anybody but me reads this thing anyway, but I'll keep blogging as often as I can get around to it. Should probably be easier when we get our high speed back and I can use the laptop instead of my phone.

Thursday night was Mexican. Courtesy of the El Toro restaurant. I am happy to say that we did not blow up despite smelling a little natural gas upon entering. My baby girl got her first taste of real solid food that night. She was eyeing my fork with a vengeance (cue the Geico creepy eyeball commercial music). In the tradition of her brother we are going to skip baby food altogether- more on that later- so I decided to dive in. Now I will say here that I am NOT ready for this milestone so unless her ped insists when we go in on Tues. we will only be "playing" with solids. Nevertheless, she sampled some tortilla and chicken and loved them.

Friday night was left over Minute Steak from lunch on Thursday. Served with green beans (frozen, never canned).

Last night was chicken pot pie from scratch. I had some chicken in the freezer from a mass cooking spree a while back. I defrosted enough to cover the bottom on my 8x8 pan about an inch deep. I poured on the rest of the bag of mixed veggies on top and added a layer of a homemade Bisquick mixture on top (partly because I was out of the real thing and partly because I had been meaning to try a homemade version and now seemed like a good time). It was okay. I was afraid to add much wetness to the bottom layer for fear that it wouldn't cook down and I would have a soupy mess. Lesson learned. The results were still edible, but overall a little dry. In my previous days I would have added a can of cream of something, but I am trying to get away from those as well. Maybe chicken broth next time, and something else. Not sure yet. I got the go ahead to make it again with some tweaking so it must not have been all bad.

Dinner tonight was pork chops again. In a flash of brilliance I bought the big pack of chops that were buy one get one free at Winn Dixie a few weeks ago. The result, about 9 bags of pork chops with 2-3 per bag.

I was feeling rather uninspired but realized about 10:30 this morning that I had not taken the roast out to thaw like I had intended, so that was clearly out for today. I decided to try the chops, but in the crock pot. Easy, no fuss. In went 2 bags of frozen pork chops (about 6 I think) and 2 cans of RoTel. That's it. I put them on high and just left them until I remembered to check, LOL. While I can't say that any great transformation took place (they tasted like pork chops and RoTel) they were altogether pretty decent. I removed the chops and added a little flour and water slurry to the remaining juices and RoTel to tighten it up a bit. Served the "gravy" over rice. Even my 3 year old who has suddenly become a little picky (guess he was used to eating all the crap too) ate it willingly.

Tomorrow night, is still up for grabs. The infamous roast is still frozen solid and I have my doubts that it would be ready to cook by morning, so I might just wing it for one more night. The pantry is winding down quickly so I'm liable to get really creative as payday approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment